Monday, March 17, 2014

Poached eggs

How do cows produce milk by only eating grass?

I'm still nursing baby and there are days when I just NEED protein! This dish I recently saw in Everyday Food (thanks, Martha) looked like a fantastic meal with one of my favorite sources of protein...eggs!

Confession: Before tonight, I had never poached an egg. The whole process kind of weirded me out. But they made it sound super simple in this recipe so I figured I would give it a shot. As you can see below, it turned out beautifully!

You will need:
-1 tbs olive oil
-3-4 bunches leaf spinach
-3/4 cup fresh cilantro
-2 eggs
-2 cups cooked quinoa, warmed
-salt/pepper to taste

In a straight-sided skillet, heat 2 inches of water over medium to a gentle simmer.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium high. Add spinach and toss until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook one minute. Add 1/2 cup cilantro. Transfer to a colander and press excess liquid from greens.

Crack 1 egg into a cup and gently tip into the simmering water. Repeat with remaining egg. Cook until whites are set and yolks are runny (2-3 minutes). With a slotted spoon, scoop the egg up and place on a plate with paper towels. Divide quinoa, spinach and eggs into 2 bowls, season with salt/pepper, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the remaining cilantro. Enjoy!

No comments: